Monday, May 9, 2011

Full House and caramel sauce and a fridge full of food makes me a happy camper.

I didn't mention it ever, but for the past, oh I don't know, gazillion days, I've needed to go grocery shopping. Not clothes shopping, or baking accessories shopping, or even DVD shopping (these all took precedence to groceries - since when can I survive without a fridge full of cheese and a cupboard full of cinnamon sugar pita chips?). And I adore grocery shopping. Like, love it a lot. But this time it sounded like a giant chore to me. It could be because since I had put it off so long, the bill would be anything but minuscule, and my bank account would hate me. So I waited more days and subconsciously hoped that I would come home to a fridge full of all the ingredients necessary to make the 17,000 meals I wanted to make (I think I wanted all these meals because I was starving always and kept thinking of things that would be delicious to make, but I didn't possess anything to make any of them). I survived on granola bars, diet root beer, and leftover Easter candy for days. Then felt disgusting and set off with my TWO PAGE grocery list. Oh dear.

A cart was necessary for this grocery shopping trip. I can usually suffice with a basket, but I felt like my arms would fall off from nerve damage if I tried to do this with one. Unfortunately there were quite a few items on my list that were those things that you only have to buy once in awhile because they'll last you forever and they're expensive (ie: chicken, cheese (just kidding, cheese doesn't last awhile in my house. Unless three hours is awhile?), condiments, BACON (only because I can never just buy one pack, I need four)). I kind of felt like I was doing the I-just-moved-into-a-new-place grocery shop. How does one person go through an entire bottle of bacon ranch dressing in such a short amount of time? [I like to dip. Everything.]

I normally go through the self-checkout when I grocery shop because it brings me back to my 6.5 years of working at a grocery store (I'm not sure why I always want to be reminded of that). But not this time with my cartful (is that a word?) of groceries. I leave the store with, and I'm not kidding, NINE BAGS OF GROCERIES. Wtf?! I'm one person! However, my mood swiftly changed from depressed to excited as I neared my house because now I get to choose what I'm going to make. This? or this? I settled on the cake (mostly because I had been meaning to bake it for approximately three weeks but didn't have sour cream in the house and it was too much effort to buy some, but now, somewhere in my nine bags of groceries, I had some), and guacamole. Maybe shrimp tacos. Maybe six litres of salsa. I couldn't decide. Mexican was clearly my theme. I don't think anybody has the time to listen to me go on and on and on about my love for Mexican food. If you've ever spent any amount of time with me, you will know how much I adore it. Mostly because within the first 30 seconds of meeting me you will more than likely become aware of my love for food. Then after about 90 seconds I narrow it down to Mexican. If you don't share the love our conversation will slowly dwindle to nothing. Just kidding. Kind of.

Anyway, I baked the cake. It required homemade caramel sauce. It was to.die.for. I impressed myself. The cake took an hour in the oven. And that was after the fight I had with my blender because it wasn't doing it's job. In the end I won. I always do. Take note. But an hour in the oven? I guess that's three episodes of Full House, but patience is not my strong point. I thought repeatedly opening the oven door to "check" it would make it go faster. Again, patience is not my strong point. Plus, I was toying with missing the heart-to-heart father-daughter chat between Danny Tanner and DJ by going to the kitchen to check it. After an hour it had to cool before I drenched it in caramel sauce. And by drench I mean drizzled what was left after I ate it all while watching Full House and waiting for the cake to finish baking. Moral of the story? The cake was a success. I obviously took it out of the oven a bit too soon because I couldn't wait any longer, so it was doughy still, which is my FAVE. Come to think of it, I should have brought it all some to work today. To eat in front of all the people working out at the gym.

Unfortunately between baking the cake that took the most amount of time ever, and prepping my weekly lunch contents, I ran out of time to actually make a meal, so tonight I think I'll make my salsa and shrimp tacos. This time I bought the big taco shells so I can still have six, but they will contain mucho (Spanish reference anyone?) more stuff inside. I'm hoping when I make enough to feed a small family because I anticipate bringing them for lunch the next day, I will end up with enough to bring for lunch the next day. Let's be honest, it's not likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment