Thursday, February 10, 2011

Detox.

A few years ago I cut refined sugars out of my diet and for the first 4 or 5 days of not consuming any I went through MAJOR withdrawl. The shakes, headaches, irritability, blurred vision, vomitting. Ok, no vomming, but the rest are true. I guess sugar was my drug of choice? That must be why I relapsed somewhere between a few years ago and now. And that must be why I feel I've hit rock bottom in not only my eating habits, but my way of living. LIFESTYLE CHANGE! Step one: cut refined sugars out of diet. I'm on day 4, and I like to think I'm succeeding and that the worst has passed and it's all downhill from here, but I feel like the tears welling behind my eyes when I think of purple sour keys, or white mocha americanos, or Golden Grahams cereal are a sign that maybe I'm not quite there yet. At work, the land of sugar, everything customers order sounds amazing. A double tall, extra whip white mocha? YES PLEASE. An extra caramel drizzle caramel frappuccino? YES. A HAZELNUT COFFEE MISTO? (and I DESPISE hazelnut, might I add) YES! YES! YES! I almost rip open a pack of sugar and just eat it by itself, but there's cameras everywhere. There would be no denying it.

So I applaud my willpower and truck on through the days. Since this change I've developed an obsession with canned fruit salad. With no added sugar, of course. And packed in water, not syrup, OF COURSE. I swear I eat 17 cans a day. I might start keeping a can opener in my purse in place of lip gloss for those emergency cravings. Which incidentally are 24 hours a day. I might start keeping back-up cans in there too. For those of you who have seen my purse you know that adding a few cans of fruit salad would make absolutely no difference on the weight or contents of it.

Side note: I also cut out fast food. Again, those of you who know me well know that I live on fast food and that deep fried goodness is my weakness. Now that I have no diet due to no fast food, I'm an irritable, withdrawn, shaky girly that lives on canned fruit salad. Where's Dr. Drew? I need his guidance through my detox.

1 comment: